As I wrote yesterday, I have been experimenting with LoRa radios. Today, I got TCP/IP working over them!
The AX.25 protocol did indeed turn out to be well-suited to this. It’s simple and works. The performance is, predictably, terrible; ping times around 500-600ms, but it does work. I fired up ssh, ran emacs, did a bit with bash, and — yep! Very cool. I tried mosh as well, thinking it would be great for this, but for some reason it just flooded the link with endless packets and was actually rather terrible.
I wrote up how to use it. It’s not even all that hard!
Pretty satisfying seeing this work.