My wife and I have been thinking of visiting the UK for awhile, and we’re finally starting to make some plans. I would be grateful to anyone reading this that might have some time to make suggestions on places to go, things to do, etc.
Here’s a bit of background, if it helps.
We have both traveled internationally before; this would actually be the first time either of us has visited another English-speaking country. We are content, and in fact would prefer, to venture outside the most popular touristy areas (though that doesn’t mean we’d want to miss something awesome just because it’s popular.)
We will have a little less than a week, most likely. That means staying on one area, or two at the most. Some other tidbits:
- I particularly enjoy old buildings: churches, castles, cathedrals. A 400-year-old country church off a dusty road would be as interesting to me as Westminster Abbey — I’d consider both awesome to see. Castles that are in a good state of repair would also be great. I’d enjoy getting in the countryside as well.
- My wife would enjoy literary connections: anything related to Dickens, A. A. Milne, Jane Austen, C. S. Lewis, etc.
- Although I know London is full of amazing sights, and that is certainly one destination we’re considering, I am also fine with things like Roman ruines in Wales, A. A. Milne’s estate, country churches, sites in Scotland, etc.
- Ireland / Northern Ireland might be a possibility, but we are mainly focused on Great Britain so far.
- Would we be able to accomplish this without a car? I understand it is rather difficult for Americans to have to drive in the UK.
- Are there non-conventional lodging options such as bed and breakfasts that might let us get to know our hosts a little better?
- If it helps understand me better, some highlights from my past trips included the amazing feeling of stepping back in time at Marienkirche in Lübeck or the Museum in der Runden Ecke (a former Stasi building in Leipzig), exploring the old city of Rhodes, or becoming friends with a shop owner in Greece and attending an amateur radio club meeting with him.
Finally, we would probably not be able to go until September. Is that a reasonable time? Is part of September maybe less busy but still decent weather?
Thanks for any advice!